Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Why I Should Never Travel Alone; Ghost Story Edition.

And now, filed under Things Which Make Me Question/Hate Myself:

The other morning, as I made my way to the train- laden with bags and more than a little guilt at leaving my children for the weekend- I thought about my parents, whom I was excited to see. My kids, whom I already missed. The amount of work which might never see the light of day. My imminent flight sans children or [non-psychological] baggage, and the pressure I was putting on myself to just enjoy this, dammit.

So yeah, I was a little distracted.

By the time I was was seated on an orange line bound for Midway Airport, I was in a better place. (Mentally. The orange line is a little questionable.) And I looked up from my nauseating self-reflection (and YouTube videos) to see a man, seated across the train from me. He seemed pleasant. He had a nice smile.

And he had a hook for a hand.

Now. My mind went in all sorts of places- most embarrassingly the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark, Volume Eleventy-Billion where the dude has a hook for a hand and it ends up on the car door handle and people are afraid.

And that is horrifying. For. I am a 32 year-old adult with a mortgage and children and a dental appointment already set up for six months from now. And not only should I be able to contain my immediately fearful response to cheaply penned ghost stories, but I'd also hope that I could maintain an appropriate facade in the presence of folks who clearly have bigger fish to fry than a gal emoting wildly before a solo weekend.

But the dude had a hook for a hand.

And it looked like a functional hook, the kind that could grip things and be a useful tool and scritch scritch scritch through the roof of a parked car-

I never claimed to be a good person. Or a sane one.

I am, however, extremely well-read.

6 comments:

coolchange58 said...

And as PC as we all try to be, I am sure I would have reacted much the same. I probably would have tried to strike up a conversation and that would have seemed very contrived. BTW I still really miss you.

Kelly@MentalGarbage said...

That book was my immediate first thought when I saw "hook for a hand"

hahaha :-) Awesome.

Nat Thongchai said...

Being the orange line, I bet if you had turned and looked around more you would have seen Ruffio as well.

Keely said...

It was scary and shameful and even more shameful. BUT TRUE.

Keely said...

I mean, it's a THING. It's out there and I didn't invent it. Glad I'm not alone.

Keely said...

Nat. YES.