Thursday, April 25, 2013

Girlfriend, By Keely Flynn. Oh Wait, That's ME.

Lately, I've spent a bunch of time reviewing and promoting some terrific shows around town. But there's one very important show opening in previews tonight...

'Cause it's mine.


Girlfriend is the story of Anna and Caro, two twentysomething gals who have been friends forever and ever, Amen. As they attempt to navigate the ups and downs of functional adulthood and the Chicago theatre scene, they also redefine friendship- and just how heavily you can lean on those pals before you drag 'em down with you.

Sure, this may be one of the more biased things I've ever blogged, but Girlfriend is a really funny show. And- honestly- not just 'cause I'm the playwright. This cast is quick and sharp and bitingly funny. They're also adorable and fun and completely root-able. There are bits and pieces of people I've loved in Chicago- and more than a few glimpses of folks I'd like to shove off a bridge.

But, I assure you, it's a comedy. A wicked awesome one. Because Amy Buckler, our director, is smart and savvy and really good at coaxing a storyline out of a blocked playwright. And 20% Theatre Chicago is an amazing group of artists who rock the heck outta new works.


Speaking of tips o' the hat, I'd really be amiss if I didn't give a big shout out to my husband P.J. (Like, a twenty gallon tip o' the hat.) This is the guy who found me at my desk, shaking from my 10th cup of coffee, and having a draft-related freakout to end all draft-related freakouts. And this is the guy who took my laptop out of my twitching hands, plonked me into a bathtub, and yanked the rest of the story line from my brain (not entirely unlike how the Egyptians removed brain matter from their mummies).  He also maintained our kids and pets and meals and made sure I drank water during this whole creative process. So, yeah. Wicked big thanks.

And I'd like to dedicate this show- my part of the show, anyhoo- to my Dad. As many of you know, Dave Flynn is undergoing some serious chemo for some serious cancer. But through it all (and since I started writing in the 2nd grade), he's been one of my staunchest supporters.

Dude has every playbill and poster in which I've ever been featured on the walls of his recording studio. That's a lot of shows; some of which should've been shoved off that ol' bridge as well. But there they stay, reminders of how proud he's always been of my work.

So Dad, happy 62nd birthday. I can't wait to tell you about how *your* show went. (And you better make it out here for the next one, yeah?)

Girlfriend
April 25th- May 19th
Zoo Studios (4001 N. Ravenswood, Chicago)
Previews April 25th & 26th, pay what you can!

Thurs-Sat, 8pm Sun 2pm
Industry Night Mon, May 6th, 8pm
www.brownpapertickets.com
(if you'd like to pay cash at the door, email boxoffice@twentypercentchicago.com)

10 comments:

Alison said...

I have no words to express how proud I am of you, and how thrilled I am that I have a friend whose name is on a freaking poster!!

Vicki Baird said...

Woo hoo, congratulations to you and Dave. I can't wait for the movie!

Keely said...

It's pretty exciting, I'll admit. Thank you!!

Keely said...

Ooh, me neither!

Amy @ Counting My Kisses said...

You are a ROCKSTAR, Keely!!! Congrats!!!!! So proud of you!! {wish I was going to be in Chicago soon so I could see it, it sounds fab!!}!

coolchange58 said...

So proud very proud of you.Stølat!

The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

Squeeeeee!!! This is so exciting!! I wish I could be there to see this!!

Can't wait to read how it all went. You will be posting the details, got it?!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Keely said...

Thanks a trillion and one!

Keely said...

Oh, you got it, Kristen!

Keely said...

Thanks so much, Amy! Wish you could be here, too! But mostly 'cause it would be fun to hang out. ;)