Wednesday, June 18, 2008

...Just remember who said it first.


Big news recently was the controversy surrounding Miley Cyrus. Not that one! The other one! Apparently her song "See you again" sounds a ton like "Sunglasses at night" by the one and only Corey Hart. (I love that song. Not that one. The other one.) Also, Avril "Originality" Lavigne's ditty "Girlfriend" is a direct ripoff of The Rubinoos "I wanna be your boyfriend." This last tidbit made me feel a whole lot better- I was kinda hating myself for rocking out (crunching out?) to it at the gym. Well, I didn't play it, it was on the playlist for this abs class I take on Thursdays...oh, no matter. My point is, yes, I can read the back of your morning copy of "RedEye" on the train, and yes, that is where I get my "news."

My other point is- this is not news! It used to be news! You know when? When it was called "I want a new drug" by Huey Lewis and the News and it was ripped off by Ray "Ghostbusters" Parker, Jr.! (Good song.) People have always done this and always will. If you have a stellar song, chances are people will want to pretend that they wrote it! I do it all the time! (There's less chance of getting sued if it's someone like me, but still. See how easy it is? Now pretend I'm Avril Lavigne. Not you, P.J. But I think we can all see what I'm getting at!)

Sticking with this thread (stay with me), I've also had this nagging suspicion lately. Have you watched "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" recently? Have you also watched "The Cutting Edge?" Well, I sure have. You know that part of the latter where they've made it to the Olympic Trials and there's all this triumphant music, right before we find out that D.B. Sweeney will button his collar button for no man? I'm pretty darned sure that it's the same as the soaring music when Robin returns to Locksley manor and...(well, you all know what happens.) Sure, I have no "proof." But I'm working on it.

On a completely (mostly) unrelated note, Hale from the Cutting Edge is exactly what I imagine when I hear the word 'fiance.' You know, the guy Kate's going to marry? It always made me think of some guy who's running your Dad's company in the London office and wears loafers. I've never trusted people who bandy that term about. I mean, come on, where was Hale when Kate was working her butt off for 18 months trying to prove she could qualify?

These are all things that bother me slightly. I'm gonna go order a Hawaiian pizza and I'm certain I'll feel better in the time it takes to say "Pamchenko Twist."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Princess Lolly,

Let's just call this blog what it is...a direct conversation with me. Because I get every one of those references, and I will comment on every one of your posts.

So basically this blog is just another vehicle for us to communicate. Because we needed it.

love,
Queen Frostine

ps - toe pick!

thesaurasaurus said...

I've never seen "Prince of Thieves." Because I am completely without culture. Maybe once I'm living on my own we can make jello and watch it or something.

Sorry. Jell-O. Don't want to get sued!

Nat Thongchai said...

Man.. I want a job running Daddy's company.. in London.. wearing loafers.. who does that?