Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sign me up!


This is an actual travel insurance payout list for an American Express Corporate cardholder (in this case, my brother in law, whom I dearly hope I am not jinxing as I have become quite fond of he and his beat-boxing ways.):

  1. Loss of life: $350,000 (Nothing funny here, although that is more than my husband's life insurance policy. Maybe we should get an AmEx?)
  2. Loss of two or more hands or feet: $350,000 (I read this wrong the first time...)
  3. Loss of sight in both eyes: $350,000 (Like that episode of Quantum Leap where Sam was a concert pianist and was blinded by a flashbulb. But that was only temporary. And fictional.)
  4. Loss of speech and hearing: $350,000 (Might as well throw in breathing. What HAPPENED to you?)
  5. Loss of one hand or foot: $175,000 (That is indeed half of $350,000)
  6. Loss of sight in one eye: $175,000 (Like if you were poked.)
  7. Loss of speech: $175,000 (Is this like being rendered speechless?)
  8. Loss of hearing: $175,000 (Pretend you can't talk and it'll double.)
  9. Loss of thumb and index finger on the same hand: $87,500 (This is MIGHTY specific. On the same hand? And why not the middle finger and thumb? It makes a better claw.)
  10. Loss of carry-on bags: up to $1,250
  11. Loss of checked bags: up to $500 (These last two seem downright paltry, now that I know how much money you have. Although I imagine if you lost my carry-on bag you may also have lost me along the way. So I guess it all adds up.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be fair, this insurance only kicks in IF Tom's traveling AND he's used his business Amex account. Which begs the bigger question -- what was Tom doing while traveling for work to have any of these awful things happen?

Life lesson: Kids, don't go into investment management. It's a scary world.

Anonymous said...

Whoa - you posted at 2:39 and I posted at 3:29!

That's almost as good as our anniversary: 07-19-03 (all primes)
(Send 5th year gifts soon! Paper? Linen? Plastic?)

Quinn's bday: 06-06-06 (lucky 6s)

Cole's birth: 02-04-08 at 4:02am (number coolness)

Number geeks UNITE!

Nat Thongchai said...

Wow.. Kate's last post overloaded the math center of my brain.. after reading that all I could come up with is.. turn left at the next light.

Deb said...

this is why I pray when everyone travels. love, you know who ...x