Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Karma is a cruel mistress.

Remember, oh, a week ago? When I laughed at some poor sap getting doused by an errant sprinkler? Cosmic retaliation is a funny, funny thing.

Yesterday afternoon, Jack and I were strolling (literally, in a stroller) to my block. Ahead of us on the sidewalk was a big ol' arcing sprinkler so I waited, feeling out its flight path. Once I had it down I decided to go for it- only it rapidly changed direction and whipped back horizontally! I got soaked the first time through as I tried to push Jack's stroller off to the side. Unfortunately, his wheel got caught on the 'keep off the grass' ribbons and I tripped over his stroller trying to keep it upright and keep his shade cover down. At this point the water had already whipped back over me and all I had to show for it was a welt on my shin. I shoved the stroller back onto the sidewalk (maybe a little too hard) and to steady it I caught it on my kneecap. Dripping wet, I hobbled us to a dry portion of sidewalk, trailing fresh sod and yellow tape. I pulled back Jack's shade to check the damage. He was sitting there happily, clutching his moose "Baby" (don't ask) and three trains.

"You cool, Jack-Jack?"

"My CROCS is wet!"

So there you have it. A girl can be sopping wet, slightly embarrassed and recently kneecapped, but the two year old male in her life will mostly be concerned about the thoroughly waterproof footwear currently dangling from his toes. Which he will later kick off. In traffic. And immediately demand back.

Are you taking notes? I'd think you'd find it helpful. (Allll in the name of research, folks.)

2 comments:

coolchange58 said...

yikes, I am sorry. Be careful and never try to out think a sprinkler. Unless you are 8 and really do not care. (They usually win. )

You can heal up on the beach.. while floating. x

Nat Thongchai said...

Omg.. Remember that old video game paperboy where you have to ride through a neighborhood and avoid all the obstacles while making sure you delivered papers?

You my friend, have seeded the idea for the next cult hit video game. Nanny Wars! Make it safely through the neighborhood while avoiding sprinklers, traffic, and creepy people in general all while pushing a stroller. Your weapons will consist of empty milk bottles you can throw or a diaper bag for close quarters hand to hand combat.. brilliant.