Monday, July 14, 2008

Seriously, what are those chicken sandwiches CALLED?


Happy Monday! I'm easing back into the week with Hootie and the Blowfish. On Sesame Street. With a two year old, of course. (Of course.) Hold my hand! It's about crossing the street with an adult! It's exceptionally cute but also a little puzzling. They changed some lines to better fit the theme of, you know, crossing with an adult ("Yesterday...saw Elmo standing there...") but they made it harder for themselves, I think. The usual bridge is "Cause I've got a hand for you/and I wanna run with you" but they CHANGED it to "I am here for you/and I wanna cross with you." Was this necessary? In a song called "Hold My Hand," how better to convey the idea of hand-holding than with the line "Cause I've got a hand for you?" It practically does the work itself.

Also, we've been O'Ding on this one particular clip: just a warning, though, it's ridiculously cute. Bonus- did you notice that the baby bird is the also the voice of Robin, Kermit's nephew? Or, you know, it's the same voice actor. (I can differentiate.) Also, one of the bunnies is the voice of Bean bunny. But isn't Bean himself...this one is bunnier. More an actual bunny who happens to sing and less a major character in the Muppet's Christmas Carol.

Speaking of bunners, Kat, P.J. and I went to Benfest on Saturday and spent a good portion of our time at the petting zoo for the under-10 set. Tortoises! Lop-eared bunnies! A snake with its mouth taped shut. And other fun things. Afterwards, we sanitized our hands with lotion like good little city-dwellers. As Kat put it, in Texas it's "Well, I just stuck my hand up this animal...what's for dinner?"

Also this weekend, two concerts at Ravinia! Feist on Friday night with a bunch of friends and Lyle Lovett on Saturday with just Peej and I. Both were fantastic shows, although Friday night's had the added perk of a picnic blanket submerged in mud (and thusly, concert-goers submerged in mud.) But there was homemade sangria! (John-gria?) And Saturday I sat next to an elderly man air-drumming and punching fists in the air, so it's really a toss up as to which was the superior concert experience.

Sunday night we had to pick up a birthday cake for one of P.J.'s bosses at Sweet Mandy B's (the best place to buy me a cupcake ever EVER) and we stopped along the way at Burger King. (Maybe blogging brings out the fast food cravings, I swear we never do this.) I got an Italian chicken sandwich because Kate and I used to get them all the time as kids, back when they had three different types. Can anyone remember what they were called? They were great. Anyhow, we had our fast food in the kid's dining area of BK, watching "iCarly" on TeenNick. We felt ollllld. Plain White Tees! On a tween show! About the hilarity of updating a webcast with your little brother and best friend! Ooh, maybe I should start a webcast.

At Mandy B's we got a choco cake, plus a ranger cookie and the best lemon square ever. It was tartastic. Plus, we realized that we have a friend who now works there! (Or has for a year. Whatever.) We have a sugar hook-up!

Then, home to play the game of "What do you want to do/I'm not really feeling anything/Well, me neither but the weekend's almost over," which turned out to mean Scrabble and three episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. 'Quo' in the triple word position underneath the first letter of 'style' means 38 points! And Olivia D'Abo is no longer Kevin Arnold's big sister but is in fact a psychopathic killer.

Yep.
("That's how we got here...that's how we got here...")

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I feel like the selections of those long chicken sandwiches had to do with different countries- like one was French, one was Italian, one was ???. I could making this all up. I always got the Italian one myself...

Anonymous said...

I know exactly the Hootie/Elmo sketch you mean, but my personal favorite is Furry Happy Monsters with R.E.M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkHM8xG6i8o

I first saw this clip in grad school. RAD.

And the snake had its mouth taped shut? That's a bit disturbing. If it needed its mouth taped shut, it should not have been included in the "petting zoo" portion of the tour, no?

coolchange58 said...

Ok, well this entry has me running through the full emotional spectrum. I love Sesame Street, enjoy Burger King (I think one was a ranch style (American) I agree with Nicole, country connotations. The snake image freaks me out!! I hate them anyway, but this imagery will stay with me for a while, not comforting in any way. I agree Kate. Shoot the snake and burn it! Lastly, Keel, the elderly man, was "how old"..just trying to capture the elderly man image. I mean Lyle is 50+and we are ++, so just wondering......(before I hit it, the word verification code is perfect for your blog today Keel... "strboui" ; )

Anonymous said...

Regarding the sammies, I believe they were the International Chicken Sandwiches, and by "International" there were 3. Ah, America! ;)