Wednesday, November 5, 2008

And Pretty Sweet Friday follows suit.

This week has been so full of stuff. Big stuff, stuff I've been putting off and "Oh my God, I really get to do this?" kinda stuff. To elaborate:

Last weekend (yes, I'm including it in the Week of Stuff) I got to hand out candy dressed as a nice pirate, running out of treats only when the Critical Mass bike ride made its way up Oakley and hundreds upon hundreds of costume-clad bicyclists descended upon my Pyrex bowl o' goodies. (There was a bit of a traffic jam at the intersection at Addison so I got to walk BETWEEN the bikes and bestow candy. I felt like a Halloween god.) Then I went to a Halloween party with a bunch of friends and a husband dressed as a Heath Ledger cowboy- which I won't elaborate upon for I feel it is still Too Soon.

Saturday I got to get poked with needles and have all of my blood replaced with important vaccinations. Saturday afternoon was spent whining on the couch. (Except for when I went out to the garage and refinished a dresser that I had bought for seven bucks. It looks rockstar awesome.) Saturday evening was spent watching The Crow and whining about my achy vaccinated body- except for when I completely rearranged my closet and organized half of the bedroom to accommodate my new (and not fully dry) dresser. That I made P.J. drag in. Right before he had to remove the old brokey one. (Sorry Peej.)

Sunday was spent with two contractors at the condo which we may or may not purchase- we haven't made any mammoth decisions, mainly because every time we return from seeing the place we fall asleep on the couch. I think we're part possum, passing out from stress and fear.

This week obviously brought about huge changes in our government (hurrah for Democrats in power! Yay Congress!) but what I failed to mention before was the copious amount of rallying done in the Schoeny abode's living room. States were booed. Commentators were alternately mocked and cheered. We even watched Fox News for a spell- just for the humor of it all! (Angry faces expressing the fervent desire that We Not Count Our Chickens or something relating to barnyards...I love me some animal humor.) The stress levels got the better of me for a bit- right around the time that Virginia was undecided but leaning towards McCain I could be found kneeling in front of the open refrigerator eating week old birthday cake with a spoon. (I'm sorry, P.J., I didn't want you to have to find out this way.) But it all worked out! And, by 3am, my blood sugar levels had gone back to normal, allowing me to get the three and a half hours of sleep I require for an early Wednesday morning.

The past couple of days have brought about some pretty superb writing opportunities. As many of you know, the creative spigot in my brain has, of late, been rusted shut. My mom has always told me to write what I know, which lately (and sadly) has been translated to stories about bananas smushed into onesies and uncomfortable tales of poo- but no more! I've been asked to be a contributing writer for Dog & Pony Theatre's podcast! As they are one of the cooler theatre companies playing in Chicago I am more than a little thrilled to get that going. Also, I received an invite last night from two Resident Playwrights at Chicago Dramatists- they're starting a new writer's workshop and have decided to choose me as their first featured playwright. I've worked with them at Instant Theatre and loved every minute- this news, however, thrills me greatly and makes my head more than a little bit swole.

Tonight we're seeing Martin Sexton at the Park West- yay! We failed to get Girl Talk tickets at the Congress Theatre for tomorrow night- boo. But anything could happen. After all, we have a Democratic America (almost) and I'm a featured writer. Nutso things happen all the time.

And speaking of off-the-wall rad: my sister Rachel has a Broadway audition tomorrow afternoon. For Wicked. For the lead in Wicked. In New York. ("As you do," I can hear Nat saying. "Who hasn't?")

So, break a leg, Chelly Bell! (Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Rachel? And...whatcha talkin' 'bout- EVERYBODY.)

Oh God. A joke within a joke within a reference? I need some new material. And by the looks of it, fast.

JimmyJohn's fast.

2 comments:

coolchange58 said...

you make me laugh. One day the whole world will be smiling from your wonderful writing, I just know it.

Love, YOUR M O M


; )

also, you remind me of Ellen, Robin Williams and a few other brilliant comics. I wish I could remember their names.

Gotta go make more swedish meatballs. a yot

flynnie said...

I love you.

I think I'm going to go vomit now, though.

Nerves. I'm like a possum, too. With less sleeping. And more vom-ing.

~chelly