Friday, April 12, 2013

Mini Kitchen Makeover, Part 3, AKA P.J. Thinks The Backsplash Looks FINE.

Apologies for the utter lateitude of this post: I was busy feeling every single minute of the four hour and thirty-five minute flight to LAX next to the totally awake and needing to acknowledge/touch/drink everything Susannah. (Interesting sidenote: right before the descent, she asked to sit with P.J. so I swapped daughters. And Suzy fell asleep as the plane touched down onto the tarmac. GOOD FOR YOU, P.J.)

But back to the kitchen. It’s done! [Ish!]

Over the past few weeks- see here and here- we've removed the janky countertops. Stained and refinished the warped cabinets. And my job (for the past week and a half) has been to mortar and tile and grout and re-tile and re-grout and super glue my finger to my thumb.

We chose a gorgeous glass mosaic tile because a) I have an unfortunate love of aesthetic and b) and over-inflated sense of ability.

Had I but known how incredibly sag-happy all of those miniature tiles would get on an oddly mortared wall (not to mention how incredibly uneven our cabinets/[walls/home] have the tendency to be), I would've just spray painted the whole thing magenta.

Except that spray paint is illegal in the city proper of Chicago. 

Gosh, I look competent. Hour One.

[Picture deleted due to Wall Rage, Day Four.]


[Picture deleted due to Ugly Cry, Day Nine.]


Ohmigosh, it's a finished kitchen. Easy!

You can't even see the blood stains and puddles o' tears and that place where I punched a hole in the wall! 

Who wants to come over and Not Use My Kitchen For Food Prep?!

So yes, "new" kitchen at one seventh of the price. (Unless you factor in usage of your spouse's thumbs into the overall cost. Which P.J. apparently doesn't.) And I'm decently happy with how a large part of my home looks. (Or at least I will once I'm rested/re-grow the skin on my hand.) 

Except...

Have you seen my "master" bathroom? I think it needs some attention, don't you? 

4 comments:

Alison said...

Ooh, splashback envy!
It's gorgeous, well done, you!

coolchange58 said...

Gorgeous and amazing JUST like you! Suzy didn't want to to miss a moment as she will be journalling about the trip.

Keely said...

Thanks! It's good...unless you look wicked closely. (So, uh, don't.)

Keely said...

She's got her own blog. She just hasn't told me the web addy.